Monday 31 August 2009

Madame Vin - Tweeting Up with Rioja

The phenomena of Twitter has some people hooked (Stephen Fry/Philip Schofield) and some people who claim that they do not understand it as a medium, stating the thought of sharing their thoughts and ideas with virtual strangers is just too much.
I think it's a great way for like minded people to connect, to share their experiences, ideas and opinions. I've been Madame Vin since January, but Twitter was created back in 2006.

I spend a lot of time on-line, but not as much as I'd like (the day job interferes somewhat), but I never thought I would go and actually meet people I had met on line. The horror stories of love affairs gone wrong are all too evident in the papers (and on line). My meet up/tweet up, I'm glad to say was a positive experience.

I'd enlisted the support of my Aussie Mate. You'll have come across her in other blog entries, it's also her hands who, on many occasions have held bottles at the appropriate angle for photo taking.

I received the twitter update from @thirstforwine" confirming they would be tasting Rioja at Bond No.9 on The Shore, Leith. A relatively new bar that has an amazing cocktail list and award winning staff to boot.

I'll admit at first it was strange having read numerous 140 characters tweets from @thirstforwine, @thefinewineman and @whiteandred we were now standing in a bar talking about the Dinastia Vivanco Rioja we were tasting.

Tweets were soon being twittered about the evening and I even got chance to wear my Madame Vin T-shirt!

@thirstforwine provided the chance for us try five wines from the Dinastia Vivanco vineyard. All were quality wines, my Aussie Mate particularly liked the rosé (Tempranillo/Garnacha blend) because on the nose it was quite sweet and fruity, but on the palate it surprised you by being more savoury.
The white Rioja was interesting too and provides and excellent,more interesting alternative to many whites on the market at the moment. The adding of Malvasia giving it that extra something.
The Crianza and the Reserva were good examples of Rioja. I've been disappointed with a number of Riojas of late, it's nice to find a couple of good ones. The Crianza being fruity, sharp and rustic easy drinking wine. Followed by the smoother fuller bodied Reserva for special occasions.



And then something very interesting and a blend that truly works
70% Tempranillo
15 % Graciano
10% Garnacha
5% Mazuelo

Red fruit, black fruit, dark toffee (bonfire toffee) and I think this will change and develop over time too.

Only 14,000 bottles produced, I'm hoping some will make it to Edinburgh............

Conclusion - more Tweet Ups needed!

Twitter - sign up and join the fun

To find out more about the wine
For more from the @finewineman
For more from @redandwhite
For more from @thirstforwine
To check out the venue Bond No.9

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to meet up with you on Friday night. Its always nice to meet with fellow wine enthusiasts. Glad you liked the 4 varietals its in my annual top ten which we plan to drink and assess sometime in September. Cornelius Beer & Wines should be stocking the wine in the run up to Xmas as it plays in at the £35 - £40 price bracket. Keep me up to date with anything vinious as i am always on the look out for some decent wine.