Saturday 31 January 2009

Verdicchio Dei Castelli Di Jesi, 2007

It was one of those days at work when I feel I've worked hard but achieve nothing. On the leaving the office feeling exhausted and just a little dispondent the heavens opened and I realised I had no umbrella or hat. The first three buses home were too full to pick me up, after some time I'm able to board a bus at last and sit in traffic before the 15 minute trek up Lothian Road toward Toll Cross and home. At the corner of my street Monseiur Vin calls, he's fogotton a vital ingrediant for tonight's dinner, would I be so kind as to pop to the local Scotmid, I'd be delighted of course.
The shop is busy, the queue stretches back, I join the end. As we shuffle forward I'm adjacent to the wine fridge my eyes wander over the ready chilled whites, I wipe away a rain drop that has slid down my nose and dangles on the end. In amongst the Chardonnays and Pinot Grigios I spot Vedicchio Dei Castelli Di Jesi, that's not something you see everyday I ponder. £3.75 a bottle?
The cashier packs my bag, carefully loading my impulse buy too.
Accompanied by spaghetti with fresh tomato and garlic with a sprinkle of sea salt we try my bargain buy.
It's golden yellow in colour but pale. It's not powerful on the nose but there are definate citrus notes. It has a slightly effevescent feel on the palate and an extra burst of lime and a little grapefruit. It needs the food but all in all for the price and a mid week relaxer it's pretty acceptable to me.

To find out more about the area visit http://www.italianmade.com/wines/DOC10303.cfm
I visited this area many years ago before I had such an interest in learning more about wine. Whilst there we were give a bottle of sparkling deep red wine as a gift, something I'm on the look out for to try again.

No comments: