Friday 30 October 2009

Hotel Du Vin, Edinburgh

It's been a long time since I visited the Hotel Du Vin in Edinburgh. Another summer and festival has passed since my last visit. That's the trouble with living in a city like Edinburgh, too many places, not enough time.

The sommelier I met early in the year is still there and his enthusiasm hasn't wained. I always take his recommendation, he knows I'm interested in widening my palate and loves to share his enthusiasm for all things wine.

Hotel Du Vin also offers a fantastic rib eye steak and I'm looking for a wine to match.

We have the 2004 Languedoc "Les Bastides D" Alquier" Faugeres Grenache/Syrah blend. The Languedoc seems such a varied region I find it hard to know what's good and what's not. I'm glad to say this one is good. A bright ruby red in colour it's got really meaty tannins with plenty of red fruit - raspberry and a smoky smoothness and a punch of black pepper. Really lovely wine that goes well with the steak. I think it would keep for a few more years too.

The Faugeres appellation within the Languedoc in the south west of France has schistous soil and high altitude and gained a good reputation due a number of quality minded wine growers as the Alquier family.

As the nights draw in and the weather starts to turn the Hotel Du Vin, Edinburgh is the perfect escape.

The wine doctor also has some further information on this Domaine Alquier

No comments: