Saturday 16 June 2007

Sherwood Estate Marlborough New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc 2005

It’s a cloudy, grey Friday afternoon in June and the Edinburgh streets are full of tourists and shoppers. I step off the train having spent the morning on a course in Glasgow. It’s 2pm and I don’t fancy the planned trip to the supermarket. I get a text from my aussie mate informing me she has managed to secure me and Monsieur Vin the last 2 tickets for the Radio 4s Loose Ends show to be recorded during the festival in August. We’d tried in vain to book them on the internet the previous night whilst enjoying a rather nice bottle of Shiraz/Grenache called Wallace from the Barossa Valley but without success. How cool! This also meant she was in town, I gave her a call.
“Where are you?”
“Princes Street, where are you?”
“Morrison Street, fancy meeting for a cheeky glass of wine?”
“What a marvellous idea” she cried
We agreed to make our way to Wigham’s Wine Cellar and who ever got there first would order a glass of dry white, sauvignon blanc. The stone steps take me to underground Edinburgh, I pull open the large wooden door and I am confronted with a large mirror before turning left in to the bar area. It’s windy outside and my hair looks like it bore the brunt of the easterly blast. I’d forgotten how dark Wigham's is when you first enter; it takes a few minutes for my eyes to adjust. I could barely see my fellow conspirator in the gloom. I spot her tucked away in one of the alcoves in this delightful cellar bar. She hasn’t been here before and comments that if she ever needs a venue for an assignation then this would certainly be it.
She’s due to meet a lady from the Scottish Executive at 3.30pm to complete a social survey she has been randomly chosen for. She’s already purchased 2 glasses of the Sherwood Estate sauv. It’s a New Zealand classic. It’s dry and earthy; you can taste the greenness of the country itself. It’s served really cold, it’s crisp and light, and the acidity is balanced. We start to put the worlds to rights and decide we have time for one more small glass. Outside, but unknown to us, the rain has begun to fall with a vengeance. But down here it’s a haven of wine and conversation. My friend suddenly looks at her watch, it’s nearly 4pm, she’s missed the lady from the executive, we look at each other and smile, time for one more then………………………………………..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How interesting that the story stops there........ ;)