Sunday 29 July 2007

France, Loire Valley 2007 - Part 1 Le Soleil Nantais

Maybe it was because I had such high expectations (as normal) but the local wine I tasted during my visit just didn't get my taste buds tingling.
A visit to Nantes would not be complete without a taste of Muscadet Sur Lie, meaning on leys, the wine having be left with the leys for a time. I know Muscadet is not a complex wine but I've had a few fruity numbers in my time that have a dryness that makes you smack you lips.
Le Soleil Nantais, Guilbaud Frères was enjoyable but served a little warm. Made from 100% Melon (generally know as muscadet)from selected vineyards of the Sèvre and Maine .

To look at - it's light in colour, almost clear
On the nose - water melon and just a hint of must, perhaps some floral undertones
Taste - it's quite flat and green but also has a quite a nice minerality possibly from the calcium rich soil

Certainly a food wine and due to it's temperature it lacks the bite I love about Muscadet, or perhaps the richness of the food, pork and rhubarb, was just the wrong match.

No comments: