Sunday 1 February 2009

Chateau Moulin De Castillon, Cru Bourgeois, 2003

I find Bordeaux confusing at the best of times and the classification of Chateau Moulin De Castillon is no exception. Back in 2003 Chateau Moulin de Castillon was one of 77 chateaux that had their Cru Bourgeois declassified after a panel claimed they had failed to meet the necessary requirements. This decision was over turned by a judge after the panel's method of judging was deemed to be unfair, to say the least. Since then further classification changes to avoid confusion with Castillon down in the south of France have happened too. I won't bore you with the details.....
I bought a couple of bottles after a tasting at Edinburgh Wine Merchants in September 2006. My notes from this time were:
Cabernet Sauvignon dominant, deep inky red/purple in colour. Aromas of woody dark fruits such as black currents. High tannins, astringent and has good length.
Not much has changed over the last couple of years except the astringency perhaps isn't as apparent and I'd add dark chocolate to the mix. It's quite savoury so think it's probably at it's peak just now.
I love this mix and for £8.00 s bottle I wish I had bought more!

No comments: